Who doesn’t love to work the booty?
I know I do! You might say I’m a bit obsessed. I even have pet names for the almighty gluteus maximus. I call it the back’s best friend, the bodyguard for the back, the back of the house, and even the powerhouse.
Today I’m sharing three of my favorite exercises for the powerhouse. I used these exercises in my Core & Strength Fusion DVD and I still use them regularly when I teach fitness classes. The exercises require a resistance band, which is one of the most effective tools for simplicity and results.
Resistance bands also offer the following benefits:
1. They offer variable resistance, which means that the resistance varies throughout the range of motion, making them more dynamic than dumbbells or barbells. This is good, because resistance bands offer your muscles a different type of challenge.
2. They travel well. They fit easily into a suitcase with very little weight or bulk, so you can take them anywhere, anytime.
3. With resistance bands you create the resistance you want, so you can make the exercise as easy or difficult as you wish.
A few tips to keep in mind when you perform these exercises:
1. Be sure to do the spinal check that I recommend at the beginning of the video. You want to inhale and sway, then exhale and arch your back until you find neutral. Make sure that your back is “flat enough to play a board game” on it, and keep your head in line with your spine.
2. Ensure that the resistance band stays taught throughout the movement so there is no slack in the band. Remember that you create resistance you want with an exercise band, and the less slack you allow the more effort you put in to the exercise.
3. I recommend 16 repetitions of all three exercises on each leg.
Let me know what you think of this Booty Burner Workout, and feel free to offer suggestions for future exercises. Questions are always welcome.
Best in Health,